OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Apple's latest operating system for the Mac, introduces several new features and changes, including new Notes and Reminders applications that sync with Exchange, updated Mail, Contacts, and Calendar applications, and a security feature named Gatekeeper that blocks unsigned software and should reduce the risk of installing malware. For more information, see Apple's What's New page.
IS&T maintains comprehensive OS X 10.8 documentation in the Knowledge Base. For help with OS X Mountain Lion, contact the IS&T Help Desk at 617.253.1101 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also submit a request online.
- Gatekeeper: A new security feature built into Mountain Lion, Gatekeeper, requires that developers sign applications using a certificate provided by Apple. Because some applications have not yet been signed by their developers, Gatekeeper may prevent some newly downloaded applications and installers from launching [mitigation instructions].
- Mail: The native Mail application exhibits issues for some MIT Exchange users, including occasionally displaying blank email messages and preventing some messages in the Inbox from being deleted. IS&T is working with Apple to resolve these issues in a future update.
- Wired DHCP: A feature in OS X Lion and Mountain Lion prevents wired DHCP connectivity [mitigation instructions].
How to obtain
Please check with your Software Liaison regarding OS X 10.8 licensing, as they may have already registered for licenses available for your department, lab or center.
You should also check with your local departmental IT support before upgrading to OS X 10.8.
The software can be obtained, free of charge, by MIT faculty and staff by visiting the OS X distribution site.
OS X Mountain Lion requires a Mac with the following general requirements:
- OS X 10.6.8 or later
- 2 GB of memory
- 8 GB of available space
Mountain Lion supports the following Mac models:
- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Some individual features in OS X Mountain Lion have additional requirements.
Installing and using
Installation instructions are available online. For setup and certificate-related instructions, see