IS&T maintains a large pool of MATLAB licenses and leases those to MIT departments, labs and centers on an annual basis for a fee. The program is designed to leverage volume purchasing discounts from MathWorks and provides flexibility to choose the licenses needed for individuals and groups. Through this program, IS&T is able to save MIT both time and money.
Students have access through the Student MATLAB program.
Activation verifies licensed use of MathWorks products.
- When you receive email confirmation that your order has been processed, your standalone license(s) will be available to be downloaded and activated directly from the MathWorks site.
- If you have not already done so, you will need to create an account on the MathWorks site with your MIT email.
- Download the software from MathWorks.
Learn more about MathWorks activation.
Through MIT's volume license purchase IS&T offers you significant savings over purchasing directly from MathWorks.
MATLAB can be licensed in two forms, either on a standalone basis or for concurrent usage.
- The license agreement with MathWorks limits usage to MIT-owned equipment, or a personal machine to be used for academic purposes only.
- You cannot combine licenses on one machine, meaning that you cannot have a concurrent license configured on a laptop that also needs to have a standalone client.
A standalone license allows one machine to run MATLAB and the licensed toolboxes without any additional requirements for a single user at a time.
- This is the most common license type used at MIT
The license is intended for use on one machine only for a single user at a time
- It is a violation of MIT's agreement to use your standalone license on more machines than you ordered licenses for.
(Orders take 3-5 business days to process.)
A concurrent license can be used by multiple people to share a pool of licenses (e.g., 15 people may share 5 licenses, but only 5 simultaneous usages can occur).
- In order to utilize a concurrent license, you will need to run a license server
- The client machine will need a network connection to communicate with and access the license server
Purchase your annual concurrent license using this form:
(Orders take 5-10 business days to process.)
Modifying your existing concurrent license:
- Add seats to an existing concurrent license
- Change license server host for an existing concurrent license
- Request updated license file for new release
|Toolboxes included in your MIT license|
- The license negotiated with MathWorks enables IS&T to distribute licenses for equipment that is used for academic and teaching purposes by MIT faculty and staff
- Concurrent license servers may provide shared licenses for non-MIT-owned equipment
- Lincoln Lab and MIT Investment Company employees are not allowed to use MATLAB under this license agreement