While MATLAB can be used offline, an internet connection is required for installation and activation. Installation is possible over any Internet connection (the VPN is not required), however the download size of a full MATLAB installation is large (up to 5GB on some platforms). For this reason, we recommend a direct connection to MITnet, or another network connection capable of at least 10Mbit download speeds.
Please note: MIT Faculty & Staff no longer need to purchase MATLAB.
Before installing MATLAB, you will need to the obtain license number and activation key, and then follow the Installation Instructions.
Information needed to activate or renew your MATLAB license
- License number and activation key (MIT faculty or staff certificate required)
- Installation instructions
- Installing MATLAB to run off the Central (Athena) License Server
|Toolboxes included in your MIT license (new toolboxes are bold)|
- MathWorks products are restricted to use in support of classroom instruction and research activities of students, teaching faculty and staff, and research staff. The right to use the Programs for any other purposes, including commercial purposes, is expressly prohibited.
- The license negotiated with MathWorks enables IS&T to distribute licenses to MIT faculty and staff on MIT-owned machines or personal machines for academic use.
- Lincoln Lab and MIT Investment Company employees are not allowed to use MATLAB under this license agreement
- Student MATLAB articles in the MIT Knowledge Base.
- For all licensing questions contact the Software Distribution Team.
For all technical help contact Mathworks Technical Support directly for further assistance.
- MathWorks Support website
- (508) 647-7000 (Monday - Friday 8:30AM-8:00PM EST)
- Note: Have your license number ready when contacting technical support.