The MIT FileMaker User Group (FMUG) was formed for people at MIT, from beginners to experts, who are using FileMaker Pro database software and related products.
The FileMaker User Group hosts occasional meetings, generally scheduled early in the work day or between noon and 1:00 pm. FMUG has has also hosted special events to which FMUG members and often other area user groups are invited. Join the FMUG Mailman list to learn about upcoming meeting and event dates, location, and topics.
While we will continue to use the regular meeting format to demo/discuss FileMaker features/concerns that might have particular relevance to the MIT user community as such topics arise, we look forward to continued regional collaborative efforts to provide FMUG members with more in-depth content rich sessions at annual or semi-annual intervals.
FMUG meetings and events are open to all members of the MIT community, but it's best to be on the FMUG mailing list to receive announcements of events not published elsewhere.
Below is a list of past meetings and topics covered.
- 05/16/2013: Tim Neudecker of KYOLogic - Virtual Lists
- 06/20/2012: 2nd Boston One-Day FileMaker Conference - Conversion, Charting and New Features in FileMaker 12
- 01/26/2012: IAP Session - Sneak Preview of FileMaker 12 New Features
- 10/13/2011: 1st Boston One-Day FileMaker Conference - Topics: User Interface and Design
- 02/05/2010: Script Triggers
Note: MIT does not consider FileMaker an appropriate solution for systems with data that fall under the protection certain Massachusetts regulations for "personal data." If you would like guidance on how to get into compliance, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FMUG maintains an email list for meeting and event announcements, discussions, user queries and information of interest to FileMaker users. This list is open only to members of the MIT community. To join or remove yourself from the list, visit the FMUG Mailman list page.
Recommended guidelines on working with FileMaker in the MIT environment continue to evolve. A variety of services are offered through DCAD via the database services website. We strongly encourage you to follow the Top 11 Security Guidelines.
- FileMaker maintains its own website and sponsors a free member organization, FileMaker TechNet, that provides access to white papers, upcoming release information, webinars, product information, updaters, templates, technical support articles, trial software, and the FileMaker Knowledge Base
- FM Forums: User community forum with several categories of discussion threads
- FileMaker Cafe: FileMaker online community
- Tim Neudecker, Kyo Logic: Performance Tips