This is a preconfigured Windows 7 virtual machine created by IS&T in Spring 2016 and designed for use only by MIT faculty, staff and students that need to access selected educational applications.
How to obtain
Download (MIT certificate required)
Click the Download button on this page.
Note: The VM download file is very large, approximately 10 GB. Download times typically range from 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on the speed of your network connection to MIT. We do not recommend downloading via dialup.
- Introduction to the Virtual Machine for Educational Use
- IS&T Preconfigured Virtual Machines: Known Issues
- Pharos Printing
- Q: How do I increase the RAM in my virtual machine?
- Q: Is there a 64-bit preconfigured virtual machine available?
- VMware Printing
- Virtualization Landing Page in the Knowledge Base
- Virtualization at MIT
- Important data should NOT be stored within the VM. There is no good mechanism for backing up data stored in the VM itself as standard troubleshooting practices will include downloading a new copy of the Virtual Machine.
- OpenOffice users: Be sure to save your files in Microsoft-compatible formats if you intend to view or edit them in Microsoft Office.
- Firefox should only be used for accessing web sites that require Windows-specific software, not for general purpose web browsing.
This is a preconfigured Windows virtual machine created by IS&T and designed for MIT students and academic staff who need to access selected educational applications. It contains the base VM configuration, mirroring, and selected educational applications.
Educational/academic applications included:
- JDK 7 u 25 w/ NetBeans
- Adobe Reader
- Disk space: 10 GB to download, 20+ GB to extract and use
- Software: VMware Fusion or VMware Workstation
- IS&T can only provide full support for SecureCRT, SecureFX, and the process of obtaining certificates in Firefox.
- All other applications included with the VM are provided on an "as-is" basis.
- Students using Java (the JDK or NetBeans) for coursework should contact their TA or other course staff for assistance.
- VideoLan Player (VLC) is provided on an "as-is" basis for playback of supported media only.
- IS&T cannot provide assistance with additional CODECs, transcoding functionality, or any other VLC features.