IS&T offers full support for the business-class versions of Windows 8 including:
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Enterprise: available via free download through MIT's Microsoft Campus Agreement (MSCA). Obtain via the Download Software button on this page.
Note: Windows RT that is pre-installed on PCs and tablets powered by ARM processors is not supported at this time.
- Migrating to Windows 8 is a very involved process that requires a lot of preparation and planning
- IS&T recommends a clean install versus an upgrade and will continue to support Windows 7 Enterprise
- Windows RT that is pre-installed on PCs and tablets powered by ARM processors is not supported at this time.
- MIT certificates for Internet Explorer 10 (default browser) can be obtained using CertAid tool only in traditional desktop version and not in Windows Store version
- Windows RT, a version of Windows 8 for systems with ARM processors, only supports applications included with the system or obtained via Windows Store
- PGP Desktop is not supported on Windows 8
How to obtain
This software is made available free of charge to authorized members of the MIT community.
Obtain via the Download Software button on this page.
IS&T recommends Windows 8 Enterprise users to subscribe to MIT's Windows Automatic Update Service (WAUS) to ensure that machines get IS&T-approved security updates and patches.
Note: Windows domain users are automatically subscribed to MIT WAUS by default.
If you decide to buy a Windows 8 machine, IS&T recommends that you select a system bundled with Windows 8 Pro edition. This version will provide you with more functionality and options.
Note: The Windows 8 edition and Windows RT can't be members of the Windows domain.
Minimum requirements needed to run Windows 8:
- Computer/processor: 1.0 GHz or above
- Operating system: Windows 8 Enterprise
- Memory: 1GB (for 32-bit) and 2 GB RAM (for 64-bit)
- Disk space: 20 GB or greater
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- To run Windows Store apps, a screen resolution of 1024×768 or higher is required
If you install Windows 8 Enterprise, be sure to activate your machine. If you are using WIN.MIT.EDU, Windows 8 will automatically activate, and you will not need a special installer to get certificates.
- Windows 8: Clean Installation
- Windows 8: Set up with a Static IP Address
- Windows 8 Enterprise Edition: Activation