A limited number of Desktop licenses have been purchased by MIT for Administrative use by current faculty and staff on computers owned or leased by MIT.
- Free downloads for Tableau Reader are available for users that need only to view and interact with Tableau Desktop visualizations.
- Free licenses for Tableau Desktop for Academic Use are available from the vendor.
How to Obtain
Request a Tableau Desktop license for administrative faculty/staff use
Refers to using Tableau Desktop for anything other than the academic use mentioned below on MIT-owned or MIT-leased computers, e.g., use of Tableau by administrative staff when conducting the business of MIT.
- You will receive an email with your license key as soon as one is available.
- This license does not cover use by either Lincoln Laboratory or the Whitehead Institute.
Free Academic use/Lab license for teaching
Refers to the use of Tableau Desktop for "Instructional Use" or "Non-commercial Academic Research" on MIT-owned or MIT-leased computers.
Instructional Use means:
- Evaluating Tableau for classroom use
- Developing materials and familiarity in Tableau for classes
- Academic instruction
- Non-commercial Academic Research means conducting not-for-profit research, which is not intended to; or in fact, produce results, works, services, or data for commercial use by anyone or to generate revenue.
- Instructional Use means:
Downloads (MIT certificate required)
Tableau Desktop is for administrative use by MIT faculty and staff only
Tableau Reader is a free desktop application that you can use to open and interact with data visualizations built in Tableau.
Tableau Desktop helps you analyze data and get quick answers to questions through visualizations, interactive dashboards, and data tables. Connect directly to the Data Warehouse, Excel spreadsheets, and other data sources.
- For licensing questions contact the Software Distribution Team