This is a preconfigured Windows 10 virtual machine created by IS&T in Fall 2018 and designed for use only by MIT students that need to access SOLIDWORKS 2018.
How to obtain
Download (MIT certificate required)
Click the Download button on this page.
Note: The VM download file is very large, approximately 12 GB. Download times typically range from 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on the speed of your network connection to MIT. We do not recommend downloading via dialup.
- Introduction to the Virtual Machine for Educational Use
- IS&T Preconfigured Virtual Machines: Known Issues
- Pharos Printing
- Q: How do I increase the RAM in my virtual machine?
- VMware Printing
- Virtualization Landing Page in the Knowledge Base
- Virtualization at MIT
- Important data should NOT be stored within the VM. There is no good mechanism for backing up data stored in the VM itself as standard troubleshooting practices will include downloading a new copy of the Virtual Machine.
- Firefox should only be used for accessing web sites that require Windows-specific software, not for general purpose web browsing.
This is a preconfigured Windows virtual machine created by IS&T and designed for MIT students to access Solidworks 2016 Student Edition.
Educational/academic applications included:
- Solidworks 2016 Student Edition
- Google Chrome
- Disk space: 12 GB to download, 30+ GB to extract and use
- Software: VMware Fusion or VMware Workstation
- IS&T can only provide full support for the process of obtaining certificates in Firefox.
- All other applications included with the VM are provided on an "as-is" basis.
- Dassault Systemes provides technical support for SOLIDWORKS 2016.