A sponsored guest account is required for voucher or temporary staff, former students or staff who are no longer eligible but need continuing access to their account, as well as visitors who need an MIT electronic identity.
Registering for a guest account establishes your identity in MIT's Kerberos security system and provides you with access to a vast array of technology services and resources on campus
- A guest account must be sponsored by MIT faculty or staff.
- A sponsored guest account is intended for individuals who need access to MIT services to participate in Institute related work.
- The account will have an initial expiration date no later than 2 years from the time the account is opened, at which time the sponsor will be contacted to see if the account should be extended.
- Guest accounts should be requested only for individuals who are not registered MIT undergraduate or graduate students, MIT faculty, or MIT on-campus staff but are working on Institute projects that make use of Athena or its related services.
- Sponsored guest accounts must be sponsored by MIT faculty or staff. The sponsor must be accessible via email, and will need to provide his/her electronic address on the form.
- The account holder may not use Athena software or other Athena services in ways that violate MIT license restrictions or use the system for any commercial or sponsored research purposes.
- The Athena Rules of Use must be followed.
- Voucher or temp employees working for an MIT department
- Work on Institute projects in a way that requires an MIT electronic identity
- Former MIT students/staff continuing work within their department after their departure
- Current members of the MIT faculty or staff (students and other guests cannot sponsor guest accounts)
- The primary contact for problems related to the account and/or renewal
The sponsor should complete the Sponsor a Guest Account request form. Allow up to one day for processing.