Sophos Anti-Virus is licensed for use by current MIT faculty, staff, students, and affiliates for use on MIT-owned computers and a single personal computer per user.
How to Obtain
- Licensed users may install software on one personal home computer.
- Upon ceasing employment with MIT, faculty and staff members do not have the continued right to use this software and should delete it from their personally-owned machines.
Downloads (MIT certificate required)
Mac download (9.6.7)
- macOS has a security feature called SKEL that blocks unauthorized kernel extensions like the one Sophos uses for on-access scanning. With the 9.6.7 installer, users will be prompted to go into System Preferences and authorize the extension. On computers enrolled in jamf | PRO, it will install correctly without extra user interaction.
- Windows download (9.6.4)
- Linux download (9.12.2 VE3.65.2)
- Lincoln Lab available software (Lincoln Lab certificate required)
If you have other virus protection software installed, IS&T recommends that you remove it.
In the application, go to Help > Sophos Anti-Virus Help.
Note: Apple is no longer releasing security updates for OS X 10.6 and 10.7. IS&T does not recommend running computers with those operating systems on the network. We strongly encourage you to upgrade to the latest Mac OS to ensure that they are protected.
Sophos Anti-Virus detects and cleans up viruses, Trojans, worms, and spyware, as well as adware and other potentially unwanted applications. It provides virus definitions and software updates regularly when you are connected to the Internet. You do not need to be on campus to receive these updates.