MathWorks products are restricted to use in the support of classroom instruction and research activities of students, faculty, and staff. The right to use these products for any other purposes, including commercial purposes, is expressly prohibited.
How to obtain
MIT MATLAB Portal (MIT certificate required)
The MIT MATLAB Portal is where you can download MATLAB, get free training, contact support, and discover additional resources.
Students, faculty, and staff (Individual license)
- This license should be used to download an individual stand-alone copy of the software for each of the machines on which they are the sole MATLAB user (includes university-owned and personal machines).
- Individual licenses are distributed through the MIT MATLAB Portal (below).
- Note: Lincoln Lab and MIT Investment Company employees are not covered by MIT's campus-wide license.
Computer labs and workstations (Concurrent license)
- This license should be used to simplify deployments at on-campus computing facilities such as computer labs.
- Install MATLAB to run off the Central (Athena) license server
- MIT students, faculty, and staff: Activate via the MIT MATLAB Portal and select Sign in to get started.
- Whitehead Institute license key for activation
Click the Download button in the MIT MATLAB Portal. Choose your version and operating system and download the installer.
Licenses are automatically activated / renewed when you log into the MIT MATLAB Portal.
MIT's campus-wide license covers the majority of the available MATLAB toolboxes, which are listed in the MIT MATLAB Portal.
MATLAB (matrix laboratory) is a multi-paradigm numerical computing environment and fourth-generation programming language. MATLAB allows matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces, and interfacing with programs written in other languages.