MATLAB (MATrix LABoratory) is a programming and numeric computing platform used to analyze data, develop algorithms, and create models. MATLAB allows matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces, and interfacing with programs written in other languages. MIT's license covers the majority of the available MATLAB toolboxes.
How to obtain
MIT’s license for individuals allows students, faculty, and staff to use MATLAB online or to download a single stand-alone copy of the software for each machine on which they are the sole MATLAB user (includes university-owned and personal machines).
IS&T also provides a separate “concurrent” license to simplify deployments of MATLAB in on-campus computing facilities such as computer labs.
MATLAB and all MathWorks products are restricted to use in the support of classroom instruction and research activities of students, faculty, and staff. The right to use these products for any other purposes, including commercial purposes, is expressly prohibited.
Activation - Individual license
The MIT MATLAB Portal is where you can download MATLAB Online, get free training, contact support, and discover additional resources.
- On the main page for the MIT MATLAB Portal, click Sign in to get started.
Choose your appropriate action:
- Create a MathWorks Account (if you have not already done so).
- Sign in to your existing MathWorks Account (if you have already created an account).
- Use MATLAB Online, or click the Download button in the portal. Choose your version and operating system to download the installer.
Deployment to computer labs and workstations (Concurrent license)
- This license should only be used for deployment in on-campus computing facilities such as computer labs.
- Activate via the IS&T MATLAB license server
Licenses are automatically activated / renewed when you log into the MIT MATLAB Portal.