IS&T provides and supports two email list services: Athena/Moira and Mailman.
Students, Faculty, Staff, Affiliates
Benefits and key features
- AFS file-sharing capabilities.
- Provided upon request to Athena users.
- Appropriate for small groups of people.
- Messages sent to these lists are forwarded to all recipients.
- No filtering, moderation or spam processing is performed.
- Managed by you directly using the Moira interface or via WebMoira.
- Allows moderation/list filtering.
- Allows archiving.
- Permits list subscription, moderation, and filtering.
- May be configured so that people can add themselves, or you can either add or approve additions.
- As the administrator of a Mailman list, you will be expected to periodically use the Mailman web interface to manage your list, e.g., you may need to delete spam that may be held due to the moderation rules you set up.
- Create an Athena/Moira or Mailman list
- Create a Class Participant list
- Manage Moira lists
- After your list is created, you can view it by going to https://mailman.mit.edu:444/mailman/admin/listname ("listname" is the name of the list you just created). Anyone can enter this URL to get general information about any Mailman list, e.g., owner.
Check to see which Mailman lists you're subscribed to: https://mailman.mit.edu:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: You must have a personal certificate installed. Replace "username" with your Kerberos username. If you are not a member of the all-mit list, replace that string with a list to which you currently subscribe. When you arrive at this page, click the "List my other subscriptions” button, located on the right side of the page above the “Change my password" section.