Spectrum Protect (formerly TSM "Tivoli Storage Manager") lets you back up and restore files to and from either your server machine or over the MIT network to a secure server that IS&T manages.
How to Obtain
Spectrum Protect is available to MIT students, faculty, and staff for use on server machines only.
Spectrum Protect accepts new registrations for server machine backups only. To back up your desktop or laptop, download and register for a CrashPlan account.
- IS&T offers a TAR file containing RPMs provided by IBM. At a minimum you will need to install the gskcrypt64, gskssl64, TIVsm-API64, and TIVsm-BA RPMs.
- If you are running a Debian- or Ubuntu- (or derivative) based distribution (including Debathena), see: Spectrum Protect 8.1 for Ubuntu.
Register for a Spectrum Protect account
- An email will be sent to you with your nodename, password, and server address. These three items are needed when installing the client software.
- Basic Configuration
- Advanced Configuration
Spectrum Protect 8.1 is a backup/archive client from IBM.
- Computer/processor: Systems based on the X86 64bit processor architecture such as Intel-64 or AMD64
Operating systems supported by IBM
- SLES 15
- SLES 12
- SLED 11
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 (RHEL)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (RHEL)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL)
- Memory: No additional RAM is required for product installation. RAM requirements for running the product vary widely and depend on your environment, configuration, and tasks that you perform. Additional RAM might be required to run the product.
- Disk space: 1.5 GB disk space is required to install the client, and all language packs.
- Additional requirements: