Spectrum Protect (formerly Tivoli Storage Manager/TSM) is a backup/archive client from IBM that lets you back up and restore files to and from your server, or over the MIT network, to a secure, IS&T-managed server. Learn more.
How to Obtain
Spectrum Protect is available to MIT students, faculty, and staff for use on physical servers.
Spectrum Protect accepts new registrations for server backups only. To back up your desktop or laptop, download and register for a Code42 CrashPlan account.
IBM Spectrum Protect for faculty, staff, and students
- Spectrum Protect 8.1 for Mac
- Spectrum Protect 8.1 for 64-bit Windows
Spectrum Protect 8.1 for Linux
- Linux notes:
- IS&T offers a TAR file containing RPMs provided by IBM. At a minimum, you will need to install the gskcrypt64, gskssl64, TIVsm-API64, and TIVsm-BA RPMs.
- If you are running a Debian- or Ubuntu- (or derivative) based distribution (including Debathena), download Spectrum Protect for Linux-Ubuntu.
Spectrum Protect 8.1 for Linux - Ubuntu
- Ubuntu notes:
- IS&T offers a TAR file containing .deb packages provided by IBM. At a minimum, you will need to install the gskcrypt64, gskssl64, tivsm-api64, and tivsm-ba packages.
- If you are NOT running a Debian- or Ubuntu- (or derivative) based distribution (including Debathena), download Spectrum Protect 8.1 for Linux.
- Older versions: Spectrum Protect 126.96.36.199 for 32-bit Windows is available for download, with the caveat from IBM that this version is no longer supported.
Before installation, register for a Spectrum Protect account. Once you register, you will receive an email with your nodename, password, and server address (required for product installation).