SOLIDWORKS is solid modeling CAD (computer-aided design) software that runs on 64-bit Microsoft Windows. Demonstrate the operation of your design under real-world conditions and simulate/analyze design performance.
MIT-licensed SOLIDWORKS Premium components:
- Composer Path Planning
- Flow Electronic Cooling
- Flow HVAC
- Flow Simulation
- Plastics Premium
- Simulation Premium
How to Obtain
- Students: SOLIDWORKS Student Engineering Kit (SEK) for 64-bit Windows is licensed for use by MIT students for academic and research purposes only. Student versions have a 2 year lifecycle. At the end of that cycle you will need to choose a newer version (made available on this page).
- Faculty and staff: SOLIDWORKS SP0 for 64-bit Windows is licensed for use by MIT faculty and staff for academic and research purposes only. Your computer must connect to MITnet, either on campus or over VPN, to verify activation every 30 days. If your computer cannot reach MITnet (i.e., it is offline connected to lab equipment or in an area without internet access) and you require a license for longer than the 30 day check-in cycle, contact Software Distribution.
Note: License does not include Lincoln Lab, Broad Institute, or Whitehead employees.
- SOLIDWORKS 2023 Student Engineering Kit (SEK) | Serial numbers for the student license
- SOLIDWORKS 2022-2023 Student Engineering Kit (SEK) | Serial numbers for the student license
Faculty and staff:
- SOLIDWORKS 2023 SP3 for 64-bit Windows
- SOLIDWORKS 2022 SP5 for 64-bit Windows
- SOLIDWORKS 2021 SP0 for 64-bit Windows
Students: SOLIDWORKS for Students: Installation instructions
Faculty and staff: SOLIDWORKS 2019 and later: Installation instructions
Important: Earlier versions of SOLIDWORKS will not be able to open files saved in versions 2019-2021. However, files saved in earlier versions of SOLIDWORKS can be opened and reviewed in later versions.