To ensure continuity of educational activities, IS&T provides this laptop loan service to eligible students. IS&T loaner laptops are intended to prevent a work stoppage due to a needed repair or delay in shipping of a new device; they are not intended as long-term replacements for a personally owned computer.
Note that global supply chain challenges currently limit IS&T's ability to quickly fulfill loan requests.
- MIT students: Before making your request, speak with your academic department or program to ensure you understand the resources they may offer you to accomplish your work.
- Cross-registered students: Check with your home institution to see what options are available to you.
Laptop requests are limited to individuals who meet the following criteria:
- You must be pursuing a Bachelors, Masters, or Doctoral degree in one of MIT's academic programs
- You must already have a computing device that needs to be sent out for repair, or have ordered a computing device that will take longer than 1-2 weeks to arrive
- Individuals enrolled as cross-registered, special, visiting, or in other programs that do not grant an MIT degree are not eligible for this program.
Requests must be for a short period of time, no more than 60 days.
- Students who need a laptop for the entire semester or academic year, or as a permanent replacement, are expected to obtain their own machine. Students who face financial difficulty may request assistance from their academic department and consult with Student Financial Services about their options.
- Students will be required to provide information about their repair order or new purchase with expected dates for delivery. Students may be required to provide documentation such as a confirmation email or an invoice.
- Students are expected to return all loaned equipment when due to avoid future charges to their student account, which may trigger registration or graduation holds.
- Loaner laptops can be recalled by IS&T at any time for any reason.
If you understand and agree to these terms, submit your laptop loan request.