The MIT Windows Automatic Update Service (WAUS) enables the MIT community to utilize Microsoft's Automatic Update feature with a more conservative selection of patches - focused on critical security updates - than those available directly from Microsoft.
Benefits and key features
- WAUS may be used by MIT faculty, staff, and students on MIT-owned and personal machines.
- Computers in the win.mit.edu domain are subscribed to MIT WAUS by default.
- Currently supports Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019 and Windows Server 2022.
By using this service, you agree to have your patch installation statistics recorded by the server. These statistics are extremely useful for IS&T to determine what percent of the Windows community is protected when high-profile vulnerabilities arise and to warn system owners if that system failed to apply a particular patch.
- WAUS in the Knowledge Base
- Advanced domain installation and configuration instructions