Preconfigured Windows 11 virtual machine designed for MIT community members who need to access selected business applications.
Note: Apple’s latest M1 processor restricts the running of virtual machines, e.g., running Windows via VMWare Fusion. If you have a machine that uses the M1 processor you will not be able to run a Virtual Machine and/or Windows 10 or 11.
How to obtain
This is a preconfigured Windows 11 virtual machine created by IS&T in Spring 2022 and is designed for use only by MIT faculty and staff that need access to selected business applications.
Lincoln Lab software portal (Lincoln Lab certificate required)
Downloads (MIT certificate required)
Download the Virtual Machine
Note: The VM download file is approximately 13 GB.
- Introduction to the Virtual Machine for Business Use
- IS&T Preconfigured Virtual Machines: Known Issues
- Virtualization in the Knowledge Base
- VMware Printing
- VMware Security Recommendations and Best Practices
- Virtualization at MIT
- Important data should NOT be stored within the VM. There is no good mechanism for backing up data stored in the VM itself as standard troubleshooting practices will include downloading a new copy of the Virtual Machine.
Microsoft Outlook is provided for Exchange resource administration and complex Exchange calendaring needs.
Note: The Virtual Machine is configured to disallow the creation of local Outlook email folders, since there is no good mechanism for backups for local Outlook email folders.
- IS&T recommends Outlook for desktop and mobile use.
This is a preconfigured Windows 11 virtual machine created by IS&T and designed for MIT community members who need to access selected business applications. It contains the base VM configuration, mirroring, and the following selected business applications:
- Kerberos for Windows
- Oracle Client
- IXOS Viewer (Livelink Imaging)
- Adobe Reader
- Disk space: 13 GB to download, 20+ GB to extract and use
- Software: VMware Fusion Pro
- IS&T provides full support for use of BrioQuery and SAPgui, with IXOS, as installed in this VM.