This is a preconfigured Windows 11 virtual machine created by IS&T in Spring 2022 and is designed for use only by MIT faculty, staff, and students that need to access selected educational applications.
Note: Apple’s latest M1 processor restricts the running of virtual machines, e.g., running Windows via VMWare Fusion. If you have a machine that uses the M1 processor you will not be able to run a Virtual Machine and/or Windows 10 or 11.
How to obtain
Download (MIT certificate required)
Download the Virtual Machine
Note: The VM download file is very large, approximately 9 GB.
- IS&T Preconfigured Virtual Machines: Known Issues
- Pharos Printing
- Q: How do I increase the RAM in my virtual machine?
- VMware Printing
- Virtualization at MIT
- Virtualization in the Knowledge Base
- Important data should NOT be stored within the VM. There is no good mechanism for backing up data stored in the VM itself as standard troubleshooting practices will include downloading a new copy of the Virtual Machine.
- OpenOffice users: Be sure to save your files in Microsoft-compatible formats if you intend to view or edit them in Microsoft Office.
- Firefox should only be used for accessing web sites that require Windows-specific software, not for general purpose web browsing.
This is a preconfigured Windows virtual machine created by IS&T and designed for MIT students and academic staff who need to access selected educational applications. It contains the base VM configuration, mirroring, and selected educational applications.
Educational/academic applications included:
- Adobe Reader
- Disk space: 9 GB to download, 20+ GB to extract and use
- Software: VMware Fusion or VMware Workstation
- IS&T can only provide full support for SecureCRT, SecureFX, and the process of obtaining certificates in Firefox.
- All other applications included with the VM are provided on an "as-is" basis.
- VideoLan Player (VLC) is provided on an "as-is" basis for playback of supported media only.
- IS&T cannot provide assistance with additional CODECs, transcoding functionality, or any other VLC features.