IS&T maintains a limited pool of loaner laptops that may be requested by current students for academic use.
Benefits and key features
The Laptop Loaner Program supplements personal ownership of laptops among MIT students. It provides central resources to ensure that all current MIT students can excel in their academic work.
- Windows 10 Enterprise x64
- Adobe Reader
- Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- FireFox ESR
- MS Office 2016
- MIT CA
- Secure CRT/Secure FX
- Sophos Anti-Virus
Students may install software on the loaner laptop just as they would on their personal laptop. IS&T does not create custom software images for individual needs or to support specific classes.
The Laptop Loaner Program is intended for academic use by currently enrolled MIT undergraduates who do not own a laptop or who own an older machine that does not meet a specific academic need.
- Observing best practices related to the physical and network security and protection of the equipment.
- Preventing damage to the equipment.
- Protecting the equipment so it is not lost or stolen in cases where theft was preventable (police report required).
- Other damage due to misuse or carelessness.
Removing and saving personal data from the laptop before it is returned.
- The laptop will be re-imaged upon its return and any data will be irretrievably wiped. No accommodation can be made for recovering data left behind on the laptop once it has been returned.
- Returning the laptop to the program in good condition by the date due.
The student is responsible for initiating contact before the lending period ends. If you cannot return the laptop on the return date, you must make acceptable arrangements for its return. Laptops that are not returned will be reported as stolen to the MIT Police.
Let us know how you long you will require the loaner. If you need a laptop for multiple semesters, you must return it at the end of each semester for a checkup before we extend your loan. (Maximum two semester lending period.) Please be sure to back up your data at this time. Be sure to note any special scheduling issues in your request. When in doubt, notify us early of any delays or issues with returning a laptop on time.
- Semester: One academic semester at a time. Laptops are due on the last day of Finals Week at the end of the semester during which they were checked out.
- Between semesters: Laptops checked out between the fall and spring semester are due at least one week before start of classes.
Any currently-enrolled MIT undergraduate may request a laptop from this program. Each qualifying student can borrow one laptop at a time.
All requests are kept on record. Requests will be filled in the order they are received and when a laptop becomes available. There is a limited pool.
Once a request has been approved, a valid MIT ID must be presented when picking up the laptop. Laptop loans are tracked via student MIT ID numbers. If you anticipate the need for a loaner laptop, request one as close to the beginning of the semester as possible.