IS&T maintains a limited pool of loaner laptops that may be requested by current students for academic use.
Benefits and key features
The Laptop Loaner Program supplements personal ownership of laptops among MIT students. It provides central resources to ensure that all current MIT students can excel in their academic work.
- Windows 7 Enterprise x64
- Adobe Reader
- Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- FireFox ESR
- Identity Finder
- MS Office Pro Plus
- MIT CA
- Secure CRT/Secure FX
- Sophos Anti-Virus
Students may install software on the machine just as they would on their personal laptop. We do not create custom software images for individual needs or to support specific classes.
The Laptop Loaner Program is intended for academic use by currently enrolled MIT students who do not own a laptop or own an older machine that does not meet a specific academic need.
- Observing best practices related to the physical and network security and protection of the equipment.
- Preventing significant damage to the equipment.
- Protecting the equipment so it is not lost or stolen in cases where theft was preventable (police report required).
- Other damage due to misuse or carelessness.
Removing and saving personal data from the laptop before it is returned.
- The laptop will be re-imaged upon its return and any data will be irretrievably wiped. No accommodation can be made for recovering data left behind on the laptop once it has been returned.
- Returning the laptop to the program in good condition by the date due.
If equipment requires repair or replacement for neglegence, the student's Bursar's Account will automatically be billed for actual repair costs or a replacement fee of $1000, whichever is lower.
Students are responsible for initiating contact before the lending period ends. If the laptop cannot be returned by the return date, the student must make acceptable arrangements for its return. Unless special arrangements are made, equipment will be reported as stolen to MIT Police if not returned by the end of the lending period.
You must let us know how you long you will require the loaner. If you need a laptop for multiple semesters, you must return it at the end of each semester for a check up before we extend your loan. Make sure you back up your data at this time. Please note any special scheduling issues in your request. When in doubt, notify us early of any delays or issues with returning a laptop on time.
- Semester: One academic semester at a time. Laptops are due on the last day of Finals Week at the end of the semester during which they were checked out.
- Between semesters: Laptops checked out between fall and spring semester are due at least one week before start of classes.
Any currently-enrolled MIT student can request a laptop. Each qualifying student can borrow one laptop at a time.
All requests are kept on record. Requests will be filled in the order they are received and as soon as a laptop is available.
Once a request has been approved, you will need to present a valid MIT ID when picking up the laptop. Laptop loans are tracked via student MIT ID numbers. If you anticipate the need for a loaner laptop, request one as close to the beginning of the semester as possible.