Virtual Computer Labs are available to faculty, instructors, and Department, Lab, and Center (DLC) IT support providers for deployment as virtual Athena Ubuntu 18.0.4 or Windows 10 machines for an MIT class of up to 100 students for the duration of a single academic term.
NOTE: This service is in beta. Virtual Labs will be provisioned on a first come first served basis. During this beta period, IS&T may not be able to accommodate all requests immediately if demand exceeds expectations.
Faculty, Lecturers, Instructors, Staff
Benefits and key features
- Virtual lab machines remain persistent for the duration of the term, to be removed one week after term’s end
- Maximum resources: 500 GB storage, 16 GB RAM, 4 CPUs, no GPU
- Maximum class size is 100 students
- IS&T provides a base machine, requestor installs, and configures software needed for their class
- MIT Kerberos user account
- Connection via MITnet on campus or via the MIT remote access VPN
Request a Virtual Computer Lab for your class (faculty, staff, instructors only)
- Requests should be made in advance to allow time for configuration, testing, and deployment.
- Lab resources are limited per term and requests are provisioned on a first come, first served basis. IS&T may not be able to accommodate all requests.