IS&T maintains a limited pool of computing equipment available for loan to eligible MIT students, faculty, and staff. Note that there are separate options and loan request forms for students and for faculty and staff. Allow one to two weeks for delivery.
Benefits and key features
Available for students:
- Laptops (Apple, Dell) for temporary use
- iPad bundle available only for undergraduates and those graduate students working as teaching assistants for undergraduate classes
Available for faculty and staff:
- Tablets - Apple iPad, Microsoft Surface
- Laptops - Apple, Dell
- Internet access - A limited number of mobile Wi-Fi hotspots are available for off-campus use in the United States only
- Peripherals - USB drawing tablet, wireless lavalier (lapel) microphone* or tabletop microphone, Apple multiport adapter
Tabletop microphones provide audio for a computer; lavalier microphones can be used with a computer or with IS&T's Lightweight Lecture Capture equipment. Neither are intended for use with in-room audio amplification. For in-room amplification needs, contact MIT Audiovisual Services.
- Students requesting equipment must be currently enrolled.
- Faculty and staff must provide a valid Institute cost object, which will be used for tracking purposes only, and will not be charged.
Important: There are separate options and request forms for students and for faculty and staff. Allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.
Students: There are two equipment loan programs for MIT Students.
- For all students: Request a laptop for temporary use. Review program terms and request a laptop loan here.
- For all undergraduate students and those graduate students working as TAs for undergraduate courses only: IS&T offers an iPad loaner bundle for use during the fall semester. Review program terms and request an iPad loan bundle here.
- If you have a computing need not listed here, contact the Service Desk to discuss your circumstances.
Faculty and staff: Log in using Touchstone and complete the computing equipment loan request for faculty and staff. Note: Choose "wireless lavalier microphone" if you need one for the Lightweight Lecture Capture Pilot.
Visit our service portal to view or update your loan request as well as any active support ticket you have.