IS&T maintains a limited pool of loaner laptops that may be requested by undergraduate students who do not possess a laptop for academic use.
Benefits and key features
The IS&T Laptop Loaner Program provides a resource to currently enrolled MIT undergraduates to help them excel in their academic work.
- Windows 10 Enterprise x64
- Adobe Reader
- Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- FireFox ESR
- MS Office 2016
- MIT CA
- Secure CRT/Secure FX
- Sophos Anti-Virus
Students may install software on their IS&T Loaner Laptop as they would to a personal laptop. IS&T does not create custom software images for individual needs or to support specific classes.
The Laptop Loaner Program is intended for academic use by currently enrolled MIT undergraduates who do not own a laptop.
- Observing best practices related to the physical and network security and protection of the equipment.
- Preventing damage to the equipment.
- Protecting the equipment so it is not lost or stolen in cases where theft was preventable (police report required).
- Other damage due to misuse or carelessness.
Removing and saving personal data from the laptop before it is returned.
- The laptop will be re-imaged upon its return and any data will be irretrievably wiped. No accommodation can be made for recovering data left behind on the laptop once it has been returned.
- Returning the laptop to the program in good condition by the date due.
Students are responsible for initiating contact before the end of the lending period. If the laptop can not be returned on the specified date, you must make acceptable arrangements for its return. Laptops that are not returned may be reported as stolen to the MIT Police.
Let us know how you long you will require the loaner. If you need a laptop for multiple semesters, you must return it at the end of each semester for a checkup before we extend your loan. (Maximum two semester lending period.)
Please be sure to back up your data at all times. We request that you note any special scheduling issues in your request. When in doubt, notify us early of any delays or issues with returning a laptop on time.
- Semester: One academic semester at a time. Laptops are due on the last day of Finals Week at the end of the semester during which they were checked out.
- Between semesters: Laptops checked out between the fall and spring semester are due at least one week before start of classes.
Any currently-enrolled MIT undergraduate student may request a laptop from this program. Each qualifying student can borrow one laptop at a time.
All requests are kept on record. Requests will be filled in the order they are received and when a laptop becomes available. There is a limited pool.
Once a request has been approved, a valid MIT ID must be presented when picking up the laptop. Laptop loans are tracked via student MIT ID numbers. If you anticipate the need for a loaner laptop, request one as close to the beginning of the semester as possible.