The MIT Windows Automatic Update Service (WAUS) enables the MIT community to utilize Microsoft's Automatic Update feature with a more conservative selection of patches - focused on critical security updates - than those available directly from Microsoft.
Benefits and key features
- WAUS may be used by MIT faculty, staff, and students on MIT-owned and personal machines.
- Computers in the win.mit.edu domain are subscribed to MIT WAUS by default.
- Currently supports Windows 10, 8.1, and 7, Windows Server 2012, 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit), and 2003.
By using this service, you agree to have your patch installation statistics recorded by the server. These statistics are extremely useful for IS&T to determine what percent of the Windows community is protected when high-profile vulnerabilities arise and to warn system owners if that system failed to apply a particular patch.
- WAUS in the Knowledge Base
- Advanced domain installation and configuration instructions