MIT uses TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) for its backup and restore services. Backing up the contents of your computer to a secure network server allows you to restore data in case of error or computer failure.
- Preserves your data if your computer crashes
- Automates data backup and restore functions
- A choice of backup service levels. Before registering, review the Service Level Choices and Costs below.
- Manual and scheduled backups
- You can encrypt your backup data
Basic Service Level - Cost: No monthly charge
- 15GB of data stored on the TSM server
- You can only back up files located in specific directories/folders
- If you switch to another service level, you don't have to make any changes to your client configuration
If you exceed the 15GB limit:
- The first month, you will receive an email stating that you have exceeded the limit and explaining that you will have two months to reduce the stored amount of data
- If you reduce the amount of stored data to 15GB or less, you won't be charged a monthly fee
- If you have exceeded the limit for three consecutive months, you will be charged a $15/month fee. The fee will stop when data is reduced to 15GB.
Standard Service Level - Cost: $15/month
- 300GB of data stored on the TSM server
- Back up data in all directories/folders
If you exceed the 300GB limit:
- You will be notified with similar email notifications (see above).
- If you are unable to reduce the stored amount, you will be given the option of moving to the Enterprise Service level.
Enterprise Service Level - Cost: $65/month
Up to 10TB (Terabytes) of data stored on the TSM server
- Redundant backup and archive data protection
- Dedicated hardware for faster restore performance
- Optional off-campus data storage
TSM is billed monthly using the MIT account number (SAP cost object) or MIT Student ID number provided when you register. This account number will be charged monthly until you cancel the account.
You must register for a TSM account before installing the TSM software.
- Register for your TSM account: You will need your SAP Cost Object or Student ID (for Standard service) and your machine hostname. You will receive an email with the information you need for your next steps to start the backup process.
- Download, install, and configure the TSM Software.
Once you have registered for an account and downloaded the software, you can:
- Back up your data: Macintosh, Windows, or Linux
- Restore your data: Macintosh, Windows, or Linux
- Manage your TSM account
- Encrypt your backup data
TSM Backup on Virtual Machines
If you already have a TSM account for a physical machine, you can also have a TSM VM account(s) that can be registered for each Virtual Machine defined on that physical machine. There is no additional charge.
When VM accounts are registered, the naming convention is:
TSM nodename of the physical machine appended with -VM and a number starting at 1.
- For billing purposes, the amount of data backed up for each TSM VM account is added to the total amount of data backed up for the physical machine.