MIT primarily uses two platforms for learning and course management: Canvas and Stellar.
Canvas is a modern, easy-to-use, cloud-based Learning Management System (LMS) that brings instructors, students, and course content together in online course sites. Access all of your courses from anywhere, on any device. Integrate course sites with popular services including Zoom, Piazza, and Gradescope.
Stellar / Learning Modules (LMOD) is MIT’s legacy platform. Stellar course sites are available in three configurations:
- Learning Modules (LMOD) provides all user-activated modules, e.g., Gradebook, Materials, Forum, Calendar, within a single interface.
- Hybrid Stellar sites use LMOD's Membership, Materials, and Calendar modules but retain the legacy Announcements, Forum, and Class/Section pages.
- Classic Stellar uses LMOD Membership but retains the legacy Materials, Homework, Announcements, Forum, Calendar, and Class/Section home pages.
Benefits and key features
- Sharing and updating class materials and assignments
- Managing class membership
- Tracking student performance
- Facilitating course-based collaboration and information exchange