The IS&T Data Center provides an environmentally secure location for housing your servers and related equipment. Your servers will be provided with rack space, power, cooling and network connectivity.
Benefits and key features
IS&T's co-location service provides the following:
- A secure location with stable environmentals for housing your server(s) and related equipment. Network connectivity via 100Mb/s switched connection to MITnet.
- Hardware standards: rack-mountable, dual power supply servers.
- Hardware installation and de-installation. We will work with you and the equipment vendor to provide appropriate rack space, network connections, and electrical connections. For co-location- basic, client is responsible for server installation.
- Access to the equipment by pre-authorized staff. An operator must be present. See below for coverage hours.
- 24x7 on-call phone support including weekends, holidays, and special closings. 12x5 (Monday - Friday 6:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.) attended operator coverage for access to the equipment. Access will be granted within four hours for emergency needs during unattended operator coverage. There will be no additional cost for access once per fiscal year during unattended coverage. If access is needed more than once in a fiscal year, there will be an hourly charge of $60 per hour, with a minimum of four hours.
Appropriate operator documentation including, but not limited to:
- general description of your servers.
- list of pre-authorized staff who need physical access.
- reboot and system status checking procedures.
- an equipment list with MIT Property Tag, s/n, make, model.
- hardware field service contact and hardware maintenance contract information.
- Limited training to the operations staff to familiarize them with your equipment, related procedures, and this agreement.
- General staff assistance such as helping rack equipment as part of installation.
- Liaison to vendor for installation or repairs.
- Reboot or system status check based on client request.
- Tape mounts for backups, if required.
- Limited shelf space available for documentation, backup media, or spare parts.
IS&T provided equipment:
- Appropriate space in cabinets for server installation
- Properly sized power cords to allow proper cooling
- Properly sized ethernet/UTP cords to allow proper cooling
- CISCO 4948 48-port switch
IS&T does not:
- Monitor the system console for events.
- Provide application, OS, or DB support.
- Provide or manage the backup application.
- Integrate these systems into our standard reporting and monitoring tools.
- If you are already familiar with our co-location services go to Step 3.
- If you are not familiar with all of our various services and want to discuss options for server services, contact the Data Center.
- Complete the Client Questionnaire.
- DOST will acknowledge the receipt of the completed questionnaire within one business day.
- Within one business day after we review the questionnaire your install contact will be contacted by our installation team to ensure the installation is completed on time, and to your satisfaction. This work should be completed in five business days or less.
- We will notify you via email when the installation is completed.
Contact the Data Center whenever customer contacts change, services change (customers may add or delete equipment) or Cost Objects for billing purposes change. In addition, you will be contacted annually to ensure accuracy of information (e.g., authorized contacts) and proper billing.
- A member of the Data Center team will meet with NEW clients to review and sign a Service Level Agreement (SLA) before the service begins.
- Service Level Agreements (SLAs) for existing clients will be reviewed and signed each June for the following fiscal year.
FY2014 rates for co-location
'U' is equal to two inches of vertical rack space. Price shown is the annual fee.
- 1-2 U: $300
- 3-9 U: $600
- 10-19 U: $1200
- 20 U - Full rack: $3000
Note: Service fees are billed quarterly in the middle of each fiscal quarter. They will be assessed for any quarter with a billing date that occurs after the SLA has been signed.