Important: Effective Monday, April 22, the tie lines that allow MIT employees to call Harvard staff by dialing a 5-digit extension will no longer be operational. To place calls to Harvard after 4/22, use the same procedure as for other off-campus calls – dial 9 and the 10-digit phone number.
IS&T offers a variety of telephone help/repair and switchboard services.
- Telephone and voice mail installation, setup, moves
- Telephone and voice mail repair and troubleshooting
- Operator/switchboard services
Telephone and voice mail repair and assistance
See Getting Started below for contact information.
Installation, moves and changes of service
All requests for new telephone service or changes in existing service should go through your department's Administrative Officer (AO) or designated telephone service contact person.
Large-scale projects (adds, moves, and changes)
Requests for more than five installations or changes are more complex than simple installations.
For special projects, large-scale moves, changes or disconnections, contact a CSR early in the project so that they can schedule work and minimize delays.
Operator-assisted Conference Calls
Conference calls can be placed with a maximum of five parties involved (the caller plus four others). For conferences of more than five parties, use an audio bridge (above). There is also a three-party conference call option available on both analog and digital telephones for no cost. The steps for setting up a conference call via the MIT switchboard are as follows:
- Before calling, have the seven-digit MIT account number that you will be charging the conference call to on hand, as well as the names and telephone numbers of all parties to be called.
- Call the MIT switchboard; (0) from an MIT telephone, 617.253.1000 from an outside line.
- Give the operator the seven-digit MIT account number and the names and telephone numbers of the parties you wish called.
- The telephone operator will put you on hold, place the other calls, and connect you once all parties have been contacted.
For help with annoying or obscene telephone calls, call 617.253.3654 (x3-3654). An operator will assist you. Massachusetts law prohibits the making of annoying phone calls. Federal law prohibits the making of obscene or harassing calls in interstate or foreign communications.
For conference calls, an 7-digit MIT account number.
For telephone and voice mail repair and assistance, have the following information ready before contacting the Help Desk:
- Detailed description of the problem
- Model number of telephone
- Primary number of the defective phone or line
- Exact location of the defective phone or line
- Contact number or email where you can be reached (or can receive a message)
Phone: 617.253.4357 (3-HELP)
- Emergency or off-hour problems: Call the Telephone Repair Help Line for instructions: 617.253.4357 (3-HELP)
- MIT switchboard: 617.253.3654 (x3-3654)