MIT has a diverse set of printing requirements and options. IS&T provides recommendations for buying the right printers to meet these requirements, instructions for printing, and access to printer repair services.
Benefits and key features
- Recommended printers meet the criteria for use at MIT, including network capability and administrative computing needs.
- Instructions for configuring network printing saves you time and frustration.
- Printer repair is done on-site.
- LPR is the standard network printing protocol used at MIT.
- Recommended Dell printers are approved for SAP (administrative) printing.
- Set up a printer on MITnet
- Request printer setup on MITnet (Touchstone login required)
- Duplex (2-sided) printing (Save paper, save the environment!)
- Network printing best practices
- Students: Pharos printing in clusters and dorms
- Athena: Printing on Athena
- Mac: LPD printing for Mac OS X 10.9 and later
- Windows: Windows 10 LPR printing
MIT Copytech manages a large number of printers and multi-functional devices (MFDs), including the Athena printers, and has Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with specific departments. Any device managed by Copytech will have a label/sticker affixed to it with their contact information. For service or information on any of these devices email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are three additional vendors available for service, warranty, and out-of-warranty repairs on printers and MFDs on campus that do not fall under a Copytech agreement:
- KSL: Provides service on HP, Dell, and Xerox printers. Contact KSL directly to set up an appointment; Phone: 617-253-6367 (Boston) | 781-893-7926 (Waltham)
- Conway Office Solutions: Provides service on HP, Xerox, Dell, and Lexmark LaserJet printers.
- Toshiba Business Solutions: Provides service on HP, Dell, and Lexmark LaserJet printers.