IS&T's Service Center offers a full range of hardware repair and maintenance services to the MIT community.
Benefits and key features
Equipment can be picked up from on-campus Institute offices
Note: Equipment must be carried in from home or MIT dormitories
- Pickups are typically scheduled for the next business day
- No charge for the first 15 minutes of an initial consulation
Warranty and out-of-warranty hardware repairs on Apple, Dell, and Lenovo Think-branded computers. Services include:
- Full diagnostics
- Parts ordering and installation
- Hardware upgrades
Out-of-warranty repairs on other model computers may include:
- Hard drive upgrade and replacement
- Memory upgrade and replacement
Software repair services include:
- Operating system and software installation (based on the terms of MIT's license agreements with software vendors)
- Disaster recovery and assessment
- Network and wireless troubleshooting
- Virus, spyware and adware scanning and removal
Call the IS&T Help Desk at 617-253-1101 (x3-1101) to talk to a consultant before bringing your computer to E17-110. A phone call may save you the trip. An in-person consultation can be scheduled if needed.
- No charge for the first 15 minutes you spend with a consultant
- If the problem has not been resolved in that time, you can leave your machine with us for further assessment and work estimate: $60/hour plus the cost of any parts
- If you choose to have the work done, there is no charge for work on hardware under warranty
- Software work, e.g., operating system installation, is not included under warranty
- On-campus pickup and delivery is also available: $35/round-trip
No charge for eligible components on qualified machines. Labor charges for certain items which Dell considers to be customer replaceable will be billed at the regular rate. Any laptops which have Rapid Response or Depot warranties (this includes most Inspiron models) will also be subject to the regular rate of $60/hr.
Apple and Lenovo
Warranty or maintenance agreement: No charge, bring warranty or proof of agreement (Owner is responsible for providing proof of warranty or maintenance agreement).
No warranty or maintenance agreement: Charges include parts and labor.