The Service Center offers a full range of hardware repair and maintenance services to the MIT Community in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Equipment can be picked up from on-campus Institute offices (Note: Equipment must be carried in from home or MIT dormitories.)
- Pickups are typically scheduled for the next business day.
- No charge for the first 15 minutes of an initial consulation
- Diagnosis and repair for Institute and personally-owned computers
- Warranty repairs on Apple, Dell, and Lenovo Think-branded computers
- Hardware service upgrades
- Apple, Dell, or Lenovo parts ordering
- Software installation (based on the terms of MIT's license agreements with software vendors)
- Disaster recovery and assessment
- Network and wireless troubleshooting
- Virus, spyware and adware scanning and removal
Call the IS&T Help Desk at 617-253-1101 (x3-1101) to talk to a consultant before bringing your computer to E17-110. A phone call may be able to save you the trip. If necessary, you can make an appointment for an in-person consultation.
- There is no charge for the first 15 minutes you spend with a consultant.
- If the problem has not been resolved in that time, you can leave your machine with us for further assessment and work estimate ($60/hour plus the cost of any parts).
- If you choose to have the work done, there is no charge for work on hardware under warranty.
- Software work, such as an operating system installation, is not included under warranty.
- Pickup and delivery is also available (on-campus offices only) at $35/round-trip.
No charge for eligible components on qualified machines. Labor charges for certain items which Dell considers to be customer replaceable will be billed at the regular rate. Any laptops which have Rapid Response or Depot warranties (this includes most Inspiron models) will also be subject to the regular rate of $60/hr.
Apple and Lenovo
Warranty or maintenance agreement: No charge, bring warranty or proof of agreement (Owner is responsible for providing proof of warranty or maintenance agreement).
No warranty or maintenance agreement: Charges include parts and labor.